Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Yay Steve!

Stephen King recently wrote an article for Entertainment Weekly about Amazon.com's Kindle.

In it he said,

"The real problem with e-readers, and what may save the embattled publishing industry, is simple consumer resistance. There are lots of advantages to the electronic devices - portability, instant buyer gratification, nice big type for aging eyes like mine - but there's a troubling lightness to the content as well. A not-thereness. Even formidable works like Neal Stephenson's Quicksilver feel somehow not quite real when read on a screen. I bought a Kindle for everyone in my immediate family, but I'm not only one who uses it regularly. Oh, and something else: If you happen to drop a book into the toilet, you can dry it out. Drop your Kindle into the toilet and maybe it'll still work...The Kindle certainly has its charms, but e-readers can never fully replace books."

I think he's hit the nail on the head. Books will always hold a special place in my heart. The smell of paper and ink and the sound of a brand new book opened for the first time will always be two of my favorite things.

No comments:

Post a Comment