Tuesday, April 5, 2011

Bibliomania

Lately, I feel as though I could compare what I do to dealing drugs.

Now, I know what you're thinking (WHAT?!? is what immediately comes to mind for me, at least), but stay with me here for a minute while I attempt to explain myself.

When I've read (or listened to) a really good book, I tend to tell everyone about it. When I finished listening to Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book on audio several weeks ago, I recommended it to everyone, to the point where I'm pretty sure people got tired of me talking about it and couldn't wait for me to move on to something else.

Or my unabashed promotion of Harry Potter because the encyclopedia of HP knowledge that resides inside my brain is looking for a friend.

Or giving The Hunger Games to a friend as a recommendation, and being so excited, because now that she's read the whole series and loved them as much as I do, she's passing along the books to her other work friends. She keeps me updated on how many people she has passed the book along to.

So, I amend my previous statement. I think I'm both a pyramid scheme member and a drug dealer. I spread my love of literature with other people, in hopes that they too will become members of my pyramid scheme, otherwise know as bibliomania, and keep adding more and more people to the bottom layer of the pyramid who can work their way farther and farther up by continuing to recommend books to others.

I am a dealer of knowledge and information. I peddle my wares to all that will listen, from children who I tell about Elephant and Piggy, Percy Jackson, and Junie B. Jones, to teens who have to know about John Green, to students who need to know what database is best for a project they're currently working on, to Adults, who I have less knowledge about their materials, but am more than willing to do research or talk about what books they have loved in order to be able to pass on good recommendations to others in the future.

I deal knowledge and information, and I am proud to do it.

What kind of information are you looking for today?

No comments:

Post a Comment